Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat Iron Poisoning?
Medical Treatment: Chelation therapy
Patients with serum iron concentrations less than 54 micromol / L and absence of symptoms greater than 6 hours after overdose do not need chelation.
- IV infusion Desferrioxamine, 15 mg / kg / h.
- Dose reduction 4-6 hours.
- Total maximum dose of 80 mg / kg for the first 24 hours.
Consider exchange transfusion for levels greater than 180 micromol / L.
If there are no serum iron levels and the likelihood of iron poisoning is high:
- Desferrioxamine, IV infusion, 1 g.
- Observe urine decoloration in vin rose, indicating high blood iron levels. Continue chelation therapy, as above, if present.
Give intravenous hypotension fluids.