Things to note:
- It may be necessary to manage crisis,
- Many patients can be treated as outpatients, but some patients may need admission.
Indicated where the symptoms interfere with normal daily functions.
Where drugs / alcohol dependence or a major depressive episode is concomitant, an Antidepressant, for example, A SSRI may be a more appropriate choice agent. Acute management
For an acute episode or for intense prolonged anxiety-
* Diazepam, oral, 2- 5 mg per dose.
- Repeat up to 12 hours if required.
- Therapy duration: up to 2 weeks, within 6 weeks, to zero.
* Fluoxetine, oral, 20-40 mg per day. Initiated specialist.
When to refer:
- Therapy duration: variable even if the condition tends to be chronic.
- Extended treatment with medicine should be supervised by a specialist.
- Ongoing treatment symptoms.