Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat Dementia?
Things to note:
- Depending on the level of impairment, appropriate care and support.
- Ambulatory care is preferred, if possible , to hospitalization.
- Family advice and support.
Management is mainly symptomatic.
To control restless patients:
- Haloperidol, oral, 0.5- 1 mg 8 hours per night with a higher dose, if necessary
- Nicotinamide, oral, 100 mg 8 hours per day.
- Thiamine, IM, 100 mg or IV, 100 mg in 1 L dextrose 5% in water.
* Thiamine, IV, 500 mg 12 hours per 3 days, followed by 500 mg per 3- 5 days per day.
- Follow 100 mg of oral thiamine 8 hours a day.
Treat other nutritional deficiencies commonly linked. When to refer:
- Patients who are suspected of having a treatable underlying condition for specialized investigations including CT scan.