How to Treat Malaria Severe?
- July 26, 2023
- No Comments
Things to note:
- Maintain hydration but avoid Excessive fluid administration because this could contribute to ARDS( especially during pregnancy).
- Transfuse less than 6 g/dL, if haemoglobin.
- There is no convincing evidence that the exchange transfusion is beneficial.
Quinine, IV( 1 mL= 300 mg of salt of quinine).
- Loading dose: 20 mg / kg 5 percent administered over 4 hours in dextrose.
- Maintenance dose: give 10 mg / kg in dextrose 8 hours after starting the loading dose 5 percent over 4 hours repeated every 8 hours until clinical improvement occurs and the patient can take oral therapy.
- Hypoglycemia and dysrhythmias monitor.
- If the dose interval increases to 12 hours after 48 hours if renal failure is significant.
* Artemether / lumefantrine 20/120 mg, oral, 4 tablets / dose with food containing fat or full cream milk.
- Immediately give the first dose.
- 8 hours later, give the second dose.
- Then for another 2 days, 12 hours. Total 3-day number of doses= 6).
Gametocytes may occur after this stage, which does NOT mean therapy failure. Only the reappearance of trophozoites or failure to clear them means failure.
When to refer:
- Patients requiring ventilation or dialysis if not available on site.