How to Treat Diabetes Insipidus?
- July 26, 2023
- No Comments
Things to note:
Rehydration with water or hypotonic fluids.
* Desmopression, oral, 0.2-1.2 mg daily.
- Optimal dose: 0.1-0.2 mg 8 hourly.
- Desmopressin, nasal spray, 10-20 mcg 12-24 hourly.
* Desmopressin, oral, 0.1 mg 8 hourly.
- Adjust dose according to response to a maximum of 1.2 mg per day in divided doses.
- Larger doses can lead to water overload and hyponatraemia.
- Water deprivation is necessary to confirm the diagnosis. Careful monitoring of electrolytes and the exclusion of fluid overload during therapy is essential to determine the appropriate dose.