How to Treat Anemia?
- July 26, 2023
- No Comments
- Once you have found the reason for anemia, such as an ulcer or heavy periods, your GP will recommend treatment.
- If your blood test shows a low (deficient) number of red blood cells, iron tablets will be prescribed to replace the iron missing from your body.
- The prescribed tablets are stronger than the supplements you can buy in pharmacies and supermarkets.
- You are going to have to take them for about six months. After you take them, drinking orange juice can help your body absorb the iron. side effects like:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Tummy pain
- Feeling sick
- Black poo
- Try to take tablets with or shortly after food to reduce the likelihood of side effects. Even if you get side effects, it is important to keep taking the tablets.
Keep iron supplement tablets out of the reach of children. An overdose of iron in a young child can be fatal.
- Over the next few months, your GP may perform repeated blood tests to check that your iron levels are back to normal.