Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat Epiglottitis?
Things to note:
- Safe the airway.
- Adequate moisture.
Cephalosporin of the third generation, e.g:
- Ceftriaxone, IV, 1 g per day for 5- 10 days.
Switch as soon as possible to oral therapy:
- Amoxicillin / clavulanic acid, oral, 875/125 mg 12 hours for 10 days.
- Hydrocortisone, IV, 100 mg immediately in one dose for significant swelling.
- Prednisone, oral, 40 mg daily.
Can be abruptly stopped after a couple of days after the swelling has subsided.AND
* Nebulised adrenaline( epinephrine)1:1 000, 1 mL.
- Dilute to 5 mL with 0.9 percent sodium chloride and administer 4-6 hours.