How to Treat Homocystinuria?
- July 26, 2023
- No Comments
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - to control the levels of homocysteine in some babies
- Children diagnosed with HCU that does not respond to vitamin B6 are referred to a specialist metabolic dietitian and given a low-protein diet
- High-protein foods need to be limited (such as cheese, eggs, fish, nuts, meat, pulses)
- Dietitian may give detailed advice and guidance for you or your child with HCU
- Alongside a low protein diet, a medication called betaine may be prescribed to your child to help clear some of the excess homocysteine. It is necessary to take medication for HCU regularly, as directed by your doctor