Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat Prolactinoma?
Dopamine agonist therapy is the treatment of choice.
* Bromocriptine, oral, 1.25 mg at bedtime with a snack.
When to refer:
- Initial maintenance dose: increase dose to 2.5 mg 12 hourly with food and check prolactin 4 weeks later.
- Higher doses may be needed.
GIT side effects are minimised by giving doses with food.
- If total dose of 10 mg does not normalise prolactin, refer.
- All tumours, once causes of secondary hyperprolactinaemia have been sought and excluded.
- Intolerance to bromocriptine.