Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat Herpetic Whitlow?
Do the following things yourself:
- Keep clean your finger and covered with a dressing
- Take painkillers such as ibuprofen or paracetamol to relieve the pain
- Do not use your infected finger to touch other parts of your body or other people
- Do not attempt to drain the fluid (it may spread the infection)
- Do not use contact lenses (the infection may spread to your eye)
- Do not touch your finger because the infection can easily spread
If you see a GP showing up within 48 hours of your symptoms, antiviral tablets may be prescribed. Antiviral tablets can help your finger to heal more quicklyNote:
- If your infection gets worse or you have a very high temperature, go back to your GP.