Looking to book a COVID-19 PCR Test? Book Now
How to Treat ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL General ?
Things to note:
Admit patients with:
- Suicidal ideation,
- Major medical comorbidity such as heart failure and liver disease,
- Inadequate support at home,
- Withdrawal history.
Assess for comorbid and other diseases. Ensure adequate moisture. It is a common error in this setting to overhydrate.Medical Treatment:Uncomplicated withdrawal
In case of uncomplicated withdrawal, alcohol detoxification can be managed on an ambulatory basis.
- Thiamine, oral, 14 days, 100 mg daily.
Diazepam, 10 mg directly, orally.
- Then for 3 days 5 mg 6 hourly.
- Then for 2 days, 5 mg 12 hourly.
- Then for 2 days, 5 mg daily.
- Then stop.